Overblog
Edit post Follow this blog Administration + Create my blog
15 Oct

Why Asbestos is Dangerous

Why Asbestos is Dangerous

Why asbestos is dangerous

If you live in a home that was built in the early 1980s or earlier, there is a good chance that it may have asbestos in it. Asbestos is a naturally occurring mineral that was used for decades in a number of building materials because it is fire resistant. It is most likely to be found in insulation and ceiling or floor tiles. The problem is that the industry had to stop using it after it was found that inhaling fibers from asbestos can cause serious health issues. 

 

Asbestos fibers that are inhaled can scar the lungs and lead to breathing problems and even cancer. Long-term exposure to asbestos has led to diseases such as asbestosis and mesothelioma. Mesothelioma is a cancer of the lining of the lungs that is very hard to cure. Most people with mesothelioma die within a few years of diagnosis.

 

While people who get these diseases from asbestos exposure usually have worked in a mine or manufacturing setting, it is possible to be exposed over the long term by building products. That's why it's important to take care if you have an older home and plan to do major remodeling. If you are going to be gutting walls and ceilings, it's a good idea to have an asbestos inspection and testing done first. A licensed contractor can find out if you have asbestos-containing materials in your home and then remove them safely before any renovations take place. This will help ensure that you and your family are not unnecessarily exposed to this potentially deadly material. Click on asbestos testing in Sydney for more details.

Comment on this post

About this blog